- Financial security: This is what I've been striving for my whole life - having enough money to live the life I want. I don't need to be filthy rich (although I certainly wouldn't turn it down), but I want to know that I will always be able to provide for myself and my family.
- Intelligence: I am an intellectual snob. I love knowledge and learning and I have a special place in my heart for geeks. I like learning useless facts for trivia and I love reading about things I don't know and trying to beef up my knowledge factor.
- Passion: I don't like to do things half-ass, so I don't. If I don't want to do something, it's most likely just not going to get done. I went to a palm reader once because I was curious why I have a line going all the way across my palm (I've only met one other person with the same palm line). She told me it was because I needed to be fully invested in everything I do, that I needed to be passionate about the things I get involved in or else I can't function. She's 100% correct - I need passion to feel complete.
- Balance: I think this is one of the most important things in life. I always want to make sure that I'm completely balanced and that nothing is off-kilter. I need the yin and the yang to feel like my life is going well.
- Independence: I don't like relying on anyone for anything - it's too easy to be disappointed. Instead, I strive to always support myself in all that I do and to be emotionally strong enough to handle what life throws my way without any assistance. I know this isn't 100% possible, but I don't ever want to feel like I'm depending on someone else to live my life.
- Ability to laugh at life: I laugh at everything, even shit I shouldn't laugh at. I don't know if it's a black thing - we love our humor! - but I just like finding the funny in everything around us. I believe that there's no situation that can't be lightened by a funny joke or a witty comment. The day I stop laughing is when I'll know that life is no longer worth living.
- Organization: I have serious OCD. I mean it. I make lists like a crazy person about shit that people shouldn't make lists for. Fuck cleanliness, organization is next to godliness for me. I like feeling like my life is in order.
- Ability to accept and embrace change: I have a huge boner for change - I love it. It forces you to grow, makes you flexible and teaches you that nothing in life is permanent. Anytime I have a chance to do something different, I take it. It's never steered me in the wrong direction because I've always learned something from it.
- Learning about other cultures: I love learning about groups that are different from my own. I'm a half-black, half-Puerto Rican chick, but I'm obsessed with Russian culture and I was in Asian club for all my years in high school. I'm constantly trying to learn more about the world and other people's customs.
- Friendship: If nothing else, I hope people think I'm a good friend. My friends are my lifeline and they sustain me when I don't have anything else to hold onto. So I try to do my best to stay connected and to be there when people need me.
Friday, December 3, 2010
31 Day Reset Challenge - Day 3
Today, the challenge asked us to pick our Top 10 values and list them. This was really hard for me, actually. I had a list of about 20 when I did my brainstorm and narrowing them down was difficult. I did learn something about myself, though, when I looked at what I had to cut out. I think I may have even learned more by what I didn't include than what I did. When I did my first Top 10, absolutely nothing I wrote had anything to do with family or friends or love. I know I joke around about being an ice queen, but maybe there's more truth to it than I thought. Then I really started to look at my life and the things that have really sustained me and while love is definitely not on my list, friendship was something that just had to be there. I'd be nothing without my friends, for real. So here's my list (in no particular order):